BigLaw is still hiring lateral associates.
Here’s a non-exclusive 𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘭 list of what BigLaw firms are looking for in lateral associates:
• 3 to 5 years of experience
• Currently working at another BigLaw firm
• A top law school and/or were top of your class
• 0 to 1 prior job moves
• A busy practice area, niche practice area, or specialist
• The right attitude (as defined by that firm)
• A connection to the law firm (you or your recruiter know people there)
• Admitted to practice in the jurisdiction
Caveat: this is an 𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘭 list, and many attorneys that don’t meet these criteria have successfully lateraled.